By Paul Kengor
at the same time historians credits Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II with hastening the top of the chilly warfare, they've got didn't realize the intensity or value of the bond that built among the 2 leaders.
Acclaimed pupil and bestselling writer Paul Kengor alterations that. during this interesting ebook, he finds a unique bond—which incorporated a non secular connection among the Catholic pope and the Protestant president—that drove the 2 males to confront what they knew to be the nice evil of the 20th century: Soviet communism.
Reagan and John Paul II nearly didn’t be able to forge this dating: simply six weeks aside within the spring of 1981, they took bullets from would-be assassins. yet their strikingly related near-death reports introduced them shut together—to Moscow’s dismay.
A Pope and a President is the manufactured from years of analysis. in response to Kengor’s tireless archival digging and his designated entry to Reagan insiders, the ebook finds:
- The within tale at the 1982 assembly the place the president and the pope confided their conviction that God had spared their lives for the aim of defeating communism
- Captivating new info at the try on John Paul II’s existence, together with a previously unreported mystery CIA investigation—was Moscow in the back of the plot?
- The many similarities and the non secular bond among the pope and the president—and how Reagan privately talked about the “DP”: the Divine Plan to take down communism
- New information about how the Protestant Reagan turned intensely attracted to the “secrets of Fátima,” which date to the said apparitions of the Virgin Mary at Fátima, Portugal, beginning on May 13, 1917—sixty-four years to the day ahead of John Paul II was once shot
- A startling insider account of ways the USSR could have been set to invade the pope’s local Poland in March 1981—only to tug again whilst information broke that Reagan have been shot
Nancy Reagan known as John Paul II her husband’s “closest friend”; Reagan himself informed Polish viewers that the pope was once his “best friend.” if you learn this e-book, you are going to comprehend why. As kindred spirits, Ronald Reagan and John Paul II united in pursuit of a ultimate objective—and in doing in order that they replaced history.
Read or Download A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century PDF
Best ideologies books
On March 25, 1931, Alabama police detained 9 younger African AMerican males at a railroad cease no longer faraway from Scottsboro. within the technique, they encountered white ladies -- who briskly accused the younger males of raping them. quickly after, all-white juries stumbled on the 9 youths responsible and 8 of them have been sentenced to demise.
Das politische approach der Vereinigten Staaten unterscheidet sich erheblich von dem unsrigen, so dass eine übersichtliche Darstellung auf dem aktuellen Stand für das Verständnis der Politik Amerikas unerlässlich scheint. Nach einem kurzen Überblick über die Entwicklung der Vereinigten Staaten von den Urkolonien bis heute beschreiben die Autoren die Entwicklung des Staatsgebietes und der Immigration, den Föderalismus, die Interessenverbände, die Parteien, die Wahlen, die Massenmedien, die Beziehungen zwischen Präsident und Kongress, das Gerichtswesen und die politische Kultur des Landes.
The 5th variation of this well-regarded textual content covers the interval up in the course of the 2012 elections. it's been revised to make it sleeker, extra concise, and up to date with a transparent organisational constitution. This variation accomplishes those 3 vital goals:First, it introduces readers to the yank method of public coverage making because it has been formed via our political associations, altering conditions, and beliefs.
Retaining our nation's middle ideas is likely to be some of the most vital endeavors of our sleek international. although showcasing the ideological modifications among Capitalism and Communism is extra very important than ever ahead of, contemplating the recognition of Bernie Sanders one of the formative years. we have now many of us in the USA that has absorbed the lies of the great left-wing media and the collectivist rules that experience made their manner into our tradition.
- Inequality and Violence: A Re-appraisal of Man, the State and War
- BREAKING THE SILENCE: Voices of Moderation: Islam in a Constitutional Democracy
- The Politically Incorrect Guide to Communism (The Politically Incorrect Guides)
- Restoring Values: Keys to Integrity, Ethical Behaviour and Good Governance
Additional info for A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century
A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century by Paul Kengor